Two men, both seriously ill, lived in the same hospital room. One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon. His bed was next to the room’s only window. The other man had to spend all his time sleeping on his back.
Every afternoon when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.
The man in the other bed began to live for those one-hour time when his world be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.
The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake. Ducks and swan played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidist flowers of every color of the rainbow. Grand old trees graced the landscape, and a fine view of the city sky- line could be seen in the distance.
As the man by the window described all this in details, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagin the beautiful scene.
One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the cold body of the man by the window. She was sad and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.
After a few days, the other man asked if he could be moved next to
the window. The nurse was happy to do so, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone. Slowly, painfully, ha sat up to take his first look at the world outside. Finally, he would have the joy of seeing it for himself. To his shock, it faced a blank wall. The man asked the nurse where the beautiful scene that his roommate had described was.
The nurse answered that the man was blind and could not even see the wall. She said, “______________________________________.”
1. Can you finish the last sentence? Please guess what the nurse said. 2. what’s the difference between the two men? ( )
A. One was young while the other was too old.
B. One was near the window and allowed to sit up while the other not.
C. One was seriously ill while the other not.
D. One was wounded on the back while the other on the legs.
A. give the man on his back some water to drink
B. pass the time by reading some interesting books
C. tell the man on his back some stories about his family
D. kill the time by describing to his roommate some things
4. What does paragragh 3 talk about?
5. “ the nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the cold body of the man by window.” What can you infer from this sentence?
6. Why does the other man wanted to move next to the window?
7.What did the man by the window see through the window everyday?( )
A. Ducks and swans B. Grand old trees
C. Nothing at all D. A blank wall
8. Why did the man choose those things—ducks and swans, young lovers, children, trees to tell the other man ?
9. In the end, after he heard the nurse’s answer, the man would____.
A. feel disappointed not seeing the beautiful scene.
B. cry for the man’s death
C. feel grateful to the man passing away
D. laugh for her joke
10. After reading, do you know what the writer wanted to tell us? And What we can learn from this passage.
11. Plesae give a title to this passage.
1. Perhaps, he just wanted to encourage you. 因为前面一句话护士告诉他那个人是个盲人，什么都看不见，所以护士就推测他这么做的原因。
2. B。这一题是个细节题。根据文章第一段的内容，只有B 项是两者的区别。C 项错误，A、D项文章没有提到。
3. D。根据文章第二段“ he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.” 可知D项正确。
5. The man was died. 因为原文中说“cold body”, 并且后文还有说护士很伤心并叫护理人员将尸体抬走。
6. Because he wanted to see the beautiful scene.
8. These are beautiful things, and they are the symbols of hope, so the man want to describe the scene to encourage his roommates. 那个人用这些美好的事物进行描述是因为，不管是天鹅、恋人还是大树，它们都是希望的象征，这些事物能给人以憧憬。
11. The story of hope