I. 选择填空（Vocabulary and structure） （共20小题，计20分）
31. Yesterday I downloaded a new programme _________ the Internet. Now I can watch TV and movies _________ my computer.
A. on; from B. on; in C. in; with D. from; on
32. — Too many people are killed on the roads every year.
— Yes, but the government isn't doing _________ about it.
A. nothing B. much C. everything D. more
33. You got all the answers _________ last time. You'll have to do the test again _________ carefully.
A. correct; most B. wrong; much more
C. easy; even D. careless; but
34. — Have you ever _________ to Rome?
— Years ago, and _________ is one of the best holidays I've ever had.
A. been; that B. gone; this C. went; it D. been; those
35. I'm hungry. _________ go out for dinner? A. Why do we B. How about C. Shall we D. Don't you
36. — Kurt, why are you so happy?
— The World Cup Final is on tonight. There's _________ I like _________ football.
A. anything; but B. nothing; more than
C. none; as D. more; than
37. — What do you think of Jerry?
— He is clever. _________, he can be forgetful.
A. And B. So C. Because D. However
38. I really appreciated your _________ when I was in hospital. It was so nice to have a visitor.
A. happiness B. cheer C. kindness D. work
39. Most people are _________ when they hear about people _________ come face to face with danger in order to save others.
A. surprising; that B. exciting; as C. amazed; who D. interested; which
40. I _________ think teenage girls who got their ears _________ were very strange, but now they seem quite normal.
A. used to; pierced B. get used to; covering
C. used to; burnt D. am used to; pulled
41. I need _________ this letter. Would you mind _________ me your pen, please?
A. to finish; lending B. writing; to give
C. to see; borrowing D. finding; drop
42. _________ you are, _________ you live, you must be interested in the future of this planet.
A. Whoever; however B. Whatever; whichever
C. Whoever; wherever D. Whenever; wherever
43. — I broke my brother's notebook computer. What should I do?
— If I were you, I _________ him right away, and then apologise for it.
A. would have told B. would tell C. won't tell D. could tell
44. I can't meet you tomorrow. Can we _________ it off till the day after?
A. call B. get C. put D. turn
45. — Please stop asking so many questions.
— Sorry, John. I wish you _________ ask so many questions. I'm busy now.
A. could B. wouldn't C. would D. shouldn't
46. — My son won the first prize in the speech contest last week.
— Please give my congratulations to him.
A. I'm surprised. B. Yes, I think so. C. Everyone says so. D. Thanks. I will.
47. — I'd like to get two seats for the show tomorrow.
— Where would you like to sit?
A. May I sit here? B. Do you have the money?
C. How much are the middle seats? D. Can I pay by card?
48. — Jane, can you help me join a web club?
— Sure. _________
— Music, especially the Backstreet Boys.
A. Can I join one of the clubs too?
B. That'll be good for you.
C. What are you interested in?
D. There are a lot of Backstreet Boys' clubs on the Net.
49. — I did very badly in my maths exam.
— I can help you study for the next one.
— Thank you. _________
— Of course, you just have to study harder.
A. How can you help me?
B. Do you think I can do better next time?
C. You've been really helpful.
D. I haven't heard from you for a long time.
50. — Lily, what are you going to do after you graduate?
— I'm thinking of becoming a computer programmer.
— Well, my parents want me to be a doctor, but I don't want to do that.
A. Do you know what I want to become?
B. Why do you want to be a doctor?
C. You said you would go to a medical school.
D. Thanks for your advice.
II. 阅读理解（Reading comprehension） （共20小题，计30分）
Before the 1980s, models were just beautiful people in magazine photographs.
People knew very little about them. They didn't know how old they were, where
they lived or what their favourite sports were. Most people didn't even know their
Then came the 1980s, the era（时代） of the supermodel. This was when some
models became so famous that they became as well known as Hollywood film
stars. Most people today have heard of Naomi Campbell,
Kate Moss, Elle Macpherson, Claudia Schiffer and the other supermodels.
Stories about them appear in magazines. Journalists interview them. Televisio
n documentaries have been made about their lives. There are also hundreds of
supermodel websites created by fans. On these websites, fans include information
about the models' weight, shoe size and hair colour.
One of the reasons these models became so famous was the huge amounts of money they were paid. Canadian supermodel Linda Evangelista once said, “I won't get out of bed for less than $10,000 (￡6500) a day.” Claudia Schiffer had a four-year contract （合同） with the cosmetics （化妆品） company Revlon. The company paid her ￡4,000,000 for just thirty days' work per year—that's more than ￡130,000 per day!
Supermodels don't make their money just from posing for the camera or walking down the catwalk. They have discovered many other areas where they can market themselves: films, television shows, exercise videos, calendars, and even the lingerie（女内衣） business. Elle Macpherson has her own underwear company which makes millions of pounds a year.
Supermodels have many other things in common, too. They travel all over the world to work. They own houses and flats in many different places.
51. Before the 1980s, _________.
A. supermodels didn't exist
B. models were as well known as Hollywood stars
C. some models were called supermodels
D. people knew the names of many models
52. How do people get to know about the lives of supermodels?
A. By watching their shows. B. By calling their mobiles.
C. By surfing their websites. D. By sending presents to them.
53. For one day's work, Linda Evangelista expects to be paid _________.
A. ￡6,500 or more B. less than ￡6,500
C. ￡4 million D. more than ￡130,000
54. Which of the following is not true?
A. Supermodels are paid too much money.
B. Nowadays supermodels are just as famous as Hollywood stars.
C. Supermodes don't just make money from modelling.
D. All the supermodels have their own underwear companies.
55. What makes supermodels so famous?
A. Stories, interviews, TV documentaries, etc.
B. Their physical appearance.
C. The modelling jobs they do.
D. The businesses they run.
The yo-yo is one of the oldest and most popular
of all toys. The Greeks were playing with
yo-yos around 500 BC. It was a popular
children's toy in the Philippines during the
16th century, and it was the toy to own in
Britain in the early 19th century. Even the
Prince of Wales had one!
The first American yo-yo company was
started in 1928. The American yo-yos had a
special feature. They could stop at the end
of the string and spin（旋转） in one place before moving up again. This was called “sleeping”. It allowed the user to do tricks while the yo-yo was spinning. Soon yo-yo fans of all ages were doing tricks with names like “walk the dog”, “rock the baby” and “around the world”.
During the 1970s, yo-yo companies began making their yo-yos more interesting and exciting. Yo-yos lit up in the dark, they whistled, and they had funny shapes. In 1985, the yo-yo even went into space. It was taken on the space shuttle Discovery to see how it would perform in zero gravity（重力）. It would still spin, but without gravity to pull it down, it would not “sleep”.
Over the years, competitions and exhibitions have led more and more people to take ‘yo-yoing' seriously. In 1990, the first international yo-yo convention （大会） was held. In 1993, the American Yo-Yo Association was started. For serious yo-yo fans, there's even a National Yo-Yo Museum in Chico, California.
The best thing about yo-yos, though, is that you don't have to be a genius to figure them out. You just need to keep practising, and pretty soon you'll be spinning with the best of them.
56. Why is the yo-yo one of the oldest and most popular of all toys?
A. It was played around 500 BC.
B. Philippine children played with it during the 16th century.
C. The British have had it for over 200 years.
D. All of the above.
57. A special feature of the American yo-yos allows you to _________.
A. figure out how to use your yo-yo B. whistle with your yo-yo
C. go around the world with your yo-yo D. do tricks with your yo-yo
58. On the space shuttle Discovery, the yo-yo _________.
A. did not spin B. would spin but didn't “sleep”
C. could do lots of tricks D. could not be controlled at all
59. What has made more people interested in yo-yos?
A. The history of yo-yos.
B. The special features of yo-yos.
C. More yo-yo competitions and exhibitions.
D. The toys for the Royal family.
60. Which of the following is true?
A. American yo-yos could stop and spin at the end of the string.
B. The American Yo-Yo Association began in 1928.
C. The National Yo-Yo Museum is in the UK.
D. Without practice people can figure out how to use a yo-yo.
Note: —Afternoon shows start before 5:00 pm. Tickets are $5.00 each. Tickets for all other shows are $8.50 each.
—Movie snacks (like popcorn and candy) at the Plaza Theatre and Movie City are expensive. Snacks are cheap at the Century 2000 and UA Blossom Hill.
Karen and Steve want to see a movie. There are five movies now showing. Children's Toys and The Three Sisters are comedies. Revenge in Paris is an action movie. Everybody's in Love is a romance. Daytime Nightmare is a horror film.
Karen likes comedies and action movies. She sometimes sees romances. She doesn't like horror films. Steve loves action movies and horror movies. He sees comedies once in a while. He doesn't like romances.
Steve finishes work at 5:30. Karen will meet him at his office. First, they will have dinner. Then, they'll go to a movie. All of the theatres are near Steve's office, except the UA Blossom Hill. It's a 30-minute drive away.
61. The 7:30 pm movie _________ at _________ would be best for Steve and Karen.
62. The Plaza Theatre opens _________ than the other ones.
63. The UA Blossom Hill is _________ from Steve's office, but the snacks there are _________. D
People often say that living with teenagers is worse than living with any other age group. Is this true? We talked to one parent with
teenage children to find out.
Yes, sometimes it's really difficult
living with teenagers. It isn't only their
age, it's also the type of people they are.
My two sons are completely different. Tom's
easier to live with than Harry. Harry's a
typical moody （情绪坏的） fifteen-year-old.
He's a lot noisier and more aggressive（性
格暴燥的） than Tom, and he isn't as
considerate. So he's much harder to live with.
But Harry's got his good side too. He's very bright and his exam results are always better than Tom's.
Tom's two years older than Harry, so he's more mature （成熟的） and less stubborn （倔强的） than his brother. He's also a bit more patient and can be very helpful when he wants to be. But he's got bigger problems at school. He's as intelligent （聪明的） as Harry, but he's much lazier and his exam results are always worse than his brother's. Harry wants to be a pilot when he leaves school, but Tom doesn't know what he wants to do.
In some ways I'm a bit more worried about Harry because he isn't as happy as Tom. But I also worry about Tom because he hasn't got any plans for his future. Yes, life is hard living with teenagers, but I'll miss them when they leave home.
64. According to Marilyn, what makes it difficult to live with teenage children?
65. Translate the underlined sentence into Chinese.
66. Tom's as _________ as Harry, but Harry gets _________ exam results than Tom.
67. What is Marilyn's worry about Harry?
68. Translate the underlined sentence into Chinese.
69. Why are online diaries popular among teenagers?
70. What does Jake say when some people disagree with the idea of online diaries? III. 完形填空（Cloze）（共20小题，计20分）
Jackie Chan, possibly the biggest movie star in the world, is (71) f_________ for his action movies. In fact, Chan's movies are (72) m_________ than simple action movies—they are action-comedies. He started using comedy (73) e_________ in his career when he was preparing to be the next Bruce Lee. He (74) r_________ that his friendly face would stop him from being as tough as Lee, so he started to use comedy. However, Chan quickly found that using
(75) h_________ was not so simple. His movie Rush Hour was a much bigger (76) s_________ in America and Europe than in Asia. Chan says this was (77) b_________ in different countries, people have different
(78) s_________ of humour. The humour in Rush Hour just didn't work with Asian audiences. “From that time, I knew that I would have to (79) m_________ two movies a year; one for the Asian market and one for the American market.” Everyone likes humour, but the humour everyone likes is (80) d_________!
On Friday afternoon we were getting ready to go to the pictures when the baby-sitter rang (81)_________ (say) that she would come at 6:30 instead of 6 pm. So when we got to the cinema the film (82)_________ (start) already. We (83)_________ (lead) to our seats by the usher in the dark. We (84)_________ (watch) the film for about half an hour when something (85)_________ (hit) me on the head. A little boy who (86)_________ (sit) two rows behind me said, “I am sorry, madam. I (87)_________ (do) it by accident. I
(88)_________ (throw) an ice cream to the boy who (89)_________ (sit) in front of you. I thought he (90)_________ (catch) it.”
IV. 句式转换 （Sentence pattern transformation） （共10小题，计10分）
91. We did nothing before the doctor arrived. （用not... until改写）
We __________________ until the doctor arrived.
92. “Have you lost weight?” asked David. （改为宾语从句）
David asked me if I __________________.
93. We give girls the same opportunities as boys in this school. （改为被动语态的疑问句） __________________ the same opportunities as boys in this school?
94. Can I leave my backpack in the car? （改为否定句）
You __________________ your backpack in the car.
95. She felt very embarrassed when she tripped over. （改为感叹句）
__________________ moment it was when she tripped over!
96. Denzil and his father are very similar in appearance.
Denzil _________ _________ his father.
97. She can't wait to start her new job.
She's _________ _________ to starting her new job.
98. Make sure you're quiet if you get home late.
Don't _________ any _________ if you get home late.
99. Can you ask somebody for his home telephone number?
Can you _________ _________ his home telephone number?
100. We can't travel abroad without taking a passport.
To travel abroad we _________ _________ take a passport.
V. 翻译（Translation） （共5小题，计10分）
102. 她儿时上过六所不同的学校。（as; send）
104. 如果你用这种方法做，肯定能成功。（be sure）
105. 杰克太累了以致不能和我们一起去参加晚会了。（come along with）
VI. 智力测试（IQ） （共5小题，计5分）
106. In the sentence there is a word of four letters hidden between words that are next to each other. Find this four letter word. Example: Scientific paper
The winter ice covers the pond. _________
107. In each of the following questions you must change one letter in the top word to make a new word. By changing a different letter in this new word it is possible to make the bottom one, which is given.
108. The number codes for three of the following four words are given below. These codes are not written in the same order as the words, and one of the codes is missing. FOAL COLT CALF LAST
5384 8371 5681
Work out the correct code for each word and answer the following questions. ① What word has the number code 8634? ( )
② What is the code for the word COLT? ( )
109. What is the five-letter word in English whose pronunciation isn't changed by removing four of its letters?
110. The words below can be put into the puzzle.
Which word should be in the shaded part?
VII. 写作（Writing） （共2小题，计25分，其中A题10分，B题15分）
要求：1. 根据所提供的内容，适当拓展想象空间，将所提供的信息灵活地体现在文章中； 2. 条理清楚，语句通顺，标点正确，书写清晰、规范； 3. 不得少于规定的词数。所给出的文字部分不计入总词数。（答案写在答题纸上）
A) Read the advertisement, and then use the notes to write a letter to Kraftwerk Tours asking for information about the trip. (50-70 words)
B) You've been asked to write an article for your school magazine about the advantages and disadvantages of being either a teacher or a doctor. In your writing you need to write about either being a teacher or a doctor, not both. Write your article using the ideas below. (80-100 words)
I. 选择填空（Vocabulary and structure）
31—35 DBBAC 36—40 BDCCA 41—45 ACBCB 46—50 DCCBC
II． 阅读理解（Reading comprehension）
51—55 ACADA 56—60 DDBCA
61. Revenge in Paris; Century 2000
63. far; cheap
64. Not only their age but what type of people they are.
66. intelligent / clever / bright; better
67. He isn't as happy as Tom.
69. Because they feel free to write anything they like online.
70. He doesn't think it is a big deal for other people to read his online diary. III. 完形填空（Cloze）
A) 71. famous 72. more 73. early 74. realized / realised 75. humo(u)r 76. success 77. because 78. senses 79. make 80. different
B) 81. to say 82. had started 83. were led 84. had been watching / had watched 85. hit
86. was sitting / sat 87. did 88. threw 89. is sitting 90. would catch
IV. 句式转换（Sentence pattern transformation）
A) 91. didn't do anything 92. had lost weight 93. Are girls given 94. can't leave 95. What an embarrassing
B) 96. looks like 97. looking forward 98. make; noise 99. find out 100. have / need to V. 翻译（Translation）
101. I don't think sixteen-year-olds should be allowed to drive.
102. As a child she has been sent to six different schools.
103. In general, Americans spend Christmas with their families.
104. You are sure to succeed if you do it this way.
105. Jack was too tired to come along with us to the party.
106. rice 107. ① MILK ② SOME 108. ① LOAF ② 5681 109. Queue. 110. SMALL
A) One possible version:
Dear Sir / Madam,
I am writing regarding your advertisement about the ten-day tour of Thailand. I am very interested in the tour and would be grateful if you could answer a few questions. Your advertisement states that the price includes a return flight from Gatwick. What time does the flight leave?
The advertisement also mentions that the price includes 10 nights accommodation in a five-star hotel. Where exactly in Thailand is the hotel? Finally, the advertisement mentions that there will be sightseeing tours of Thailand. Will there also be time to go shopping?
Thank you for your help.
B) Possible versions:
a) Have you ever considered becoming a teacher? There are many advantages and disadvantages to doing this kind of job.
One of the main advantages to being a teacher is that it is rewarding because you work with children. Besides, it is exciting as you will teach lots of different things.
Nevertheless, a teacher's job can be difficult sometimes. First of all, it can be stressful because you have to do things in a very short time. Moreover, it is tiring because you have a lot of homework to correct.
All things considered, I think becoming a teacher is a good idea.
b) Have you ever considered becoming a doctor? There are many advantages and disadvantages to doing this kind of job.
One of the main advantages of being a doctor is that it is rewarding as you treat people. Besides, it is well paid because the job takes a lot of skill.
Nevertheless, a doctor's job can be very difficult sometimes. First of all, it can be depressing because you have to be around sick people all day. Moreover, it is a stressful job as you have to work long hours.
All things considered, I think becoming a doctor is a good idea as long as you know the disadvantages.
1． 本题总分为: A） 10分； B） 15分。按四个档次给分。
3． 作文词数少于50或多于100的， 从总分中减去2分。
第四档（很好）：A） 9—10分； B） 12—15分
第三档（好）：A） 6—8分； B） 9—11分
第二档（一般）：A） 4—5分； B） 5—8分
第一档（差）：A） 1—3分； B） 1—4分