1. Nicknames are interesting. If _______ man were unusually strong, he might adopt _______ name such as Armstrong.
A. a; the B. a; a C. a; 不填 D. the; a
2. Those who put their money away in the bank know very well that interest rate could go _______.
A. both ways B. all ways C. neither way D. either way
3. Unlike the earth, Mars is too cold and Venus is far too hot _______ there to be any life.
A. as B. so C. like D. for
4. The little man was _______ one meter fifty high, who is often laughed at.
A. almost more than B. hardly more than C. nearly more than D. as much as
5. The village seemed deserted, the only sign of life ________ some trees waving in the howling wind．
A. were B. being C. was D. to be
6. The old lady got up just before sunrise, as she often does, _______along the beach and get
some fresh air.
A. walked B. to walk C. walking D. having walked
7. I can not understand why Libya will become so complicated ________ I understand more
from the medium.
A. after B. before C. while D. when
8. We’d better take umbrellas—I’m sure it ________ when we arrive in London; it’s always wet
there at this time of year.
A. will rain B. is raining C. will be raining D. would rain
9. I would have attended your birthday party last night but for the fact that it ________ at that time.
A. would rain B. was raining C. had rained D. had been raining
10. －What does the sign over there say?
－“No person _______ bring drinks into the student computer pool.”
A. will B. may C. shall D. must
11. It was a great _______ for her to be pleasant to people she didn’t like.
A. attempt B. trouble C. effort D. practice
12. A volcano in Indonesia erupted on November the 16th, 2010, and _______, hundreds of people were killed.
A. consequently B. continuously C. constantly D. consistently
13. The car began to ______ the moment the vehicle got into the highway.
A. take up B. give up C. make up D. pick up
14. Experts predict that the earthquake and tsunami will _______ among the costliest natural disasters on record.
A. clarify B. group C. separate D. rank
15. More than 5,000 people had been ________ dead from Friday's massive earthquake and
tsunami, Japanese media quoted police as saying early on Thursday.
A. convinced B. guaranteed C. confirmed D. claimed
16. We were hoping to finish the project by next week—________, however, we won’t make it
until the week after．
A. so far B. as it is C. by and by D. in addition
17. Supporters of underground development say that building down ________ building up is a
good way to use the earth’s space.
A. as well as B. other than C. rather than D. more than
18. A housing bubble is an economic situation ________ occurs when house prices rise much too fast.
A. which B. where C. what D. why
19. Newton is shown as a gifted scientist with very human weakness ________ stood at the
point in history ________ magic ended and science began.
A. which, where B. who, whose C. that, that D. who, where
20. －Did you have a wonderful time at the ball last night?
－__________! I’ve never had a more wonderful time all my life.
A. You bet B. No problem C. Don’t mention it D. That’s right
I recently heard a story about a famous research scientist who had made several very important medical breakthroughs．What set him so far apart from others?
He that, in his opinion, it all came from an from his mother that happened when he was about 2 years old．He had been trying to a bottle of milk from the refrigerator when he lost his on the slippery bottle and it , making its contents pouring all over the kitchen floor．
When his mother came into the kitchen, instead of punishing him, she said: “Robert, what a and wonderful mess you have made! I have seen such a huge pool of milk．Well, the damage has already been done．Would you like to down and play in the milk for a few minutes we clean it up?”
Indeed, he did．After a few minutes, his mother said: “You know, Robert, you make a mess like this, you have to clean it up at last and everything to its proper order．So, how would you like to do that? We could use a sponge （海绵）, a towel, or a mop．Which do you ?” He chose the sponge and together they the milk．
His mother then said: “You know, what happened just now is a experiment in how effectively to carry a big milk bottle with two ．Let’s go out in the backyard and fill the bottle with water and see if you can a way to carry it without dropping it．” The little boy that if he held the bottle at the top near the lip with both hands, he could carry it
without dropping it．
This scientist then that it was at that moment that he knew he didn’t need to be afraid to make ．
Wouldn’t it be great if all parents would respond the way Robert’s mother responded to him?
21．A．added B．advised C．responded D．commented
22．A．experience B．accident C．experiment D．inspiration
23．A．send B．cool C．bring D．remove
24．A．hold B．control C．balance D．way
25．A．fell B．rolled C．turned D．burst
26．A．crying B．staring C．shouting D．laughing
27．A．powerful B．great C．touching D．sarcastic
28．A．shortly B．always C．already D．rarely
29．A．put B．get C．take D．lie
30．A．when B．until C．before D．after
31．A．however B．whatever C．wherever D．whenever
32．A．recover B．restore C．recollect D．replace
33．A．like B．prefer C．take D．decide
34．A．cleaned up B．swept off C．sucked out D．took apart
35．A．finished B．shared C．failed D．valued
36．A．tiny B．clever C．smooth D．wet
37．A．invent B．discover C．imagine D．make
38．A．knew B．thought C．convinced D．learned
39．A．argued B．sensed C．remarked D．criticized
40．A．mistakes B．assumptions C．decisions D．differences
A new book written by a Chinese American on her super-strict parenting - "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" has raised fierce debates in the US.
Amy Chua is a Yale Law School professor and the mother of two teenage girls. She is the daughter of Chinese immigrants. In the Chinese culture, the tighter represents strength and power. In her book, Ms. Chua writes about how she demanded excellence from her daughters. Chua writes that her daughters, Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to go on a date, be in a school play, watch TV or play computer games. They couldn't choose their own after-class activities or get any grade less than an A. They had to play piano or violin - and no other musical instruments.
She writes that if a Chinese child gets a B - which she says "would never happen" - there would be "a screaming, hair-tearing explosion." She describes making her 7-year-old daughter play a piano piece perfectly - yelling and not letting her leave the bench even to use the bathroom - until it was.
Many people have criticized Amy Chua. Some say her parenting methods were abusive. She
even admits that her husband, who is not Chinese, objected to her parenting style. But she says that was the way her parents raised her and her three sisters.
Stacy Debroff, who has written four books on parenting, says Amy Chua’s parenting style is not limited to Chinese families. She says it represents a traditional way of parenting among immigrants seeking a better future for their children. But she also sees a risk. When children have no time to be social or to follow their own interests, they might not develop other skills that they need to succeed in life. Stacy Debroff advises parents not to just repeat the way they were raised.
Alison Lo, an assistant professor of marketing at the University of Washington's Bothell campus, said. "I don't think Amy is advocating a best practice of parenting style, or that success and achievements are critical yardsticks of a good life. But I can imagine how strong her daughters' college applications are going to be. For many parents whose dreams are seeing their kids graduating from a competitive university, Amy is sharing with the readers that it is achievable by persistent, dedicated parental guidance," Lo said. "In that sense, a young adult's giftedness can be born, or made."
41. We can learn that Amy Chua is _________.
A. an assistant professor B. an easy-going woman
C. A cruel teacher D. A demanding mother
42. What are Sophia and Louisa allowed to do?
A. Getting an A minus B. Playing the guitar
C. Dating with boys D. Playing the piano
43. What do you know about Amy Chua’s husband?
A. He came from China B. He is against her parenting style
C. He approved of her parenting style D. He thinks her parenting methods are abusive
44. Stacy Debroff advises parents to ________.
A. follow Amy Chua’s parenting style B. develop their own style of parenting
C. be strict with children D. seek a better future for their children
45. Alison Lo concludes that ___________.
A. a teenager can be raised to be a talent
B. a gifted child was born with talent
C. persistent, dedicated parental guidance is the best parenting style
D. parents should respect children’s personalities
Have you got any wonderful plans for your coming winter vacation? Here are some wonderful films for you to kill time.